Motor vehicle accidents continue to occur at an unsettling pace, and the thought of being involved in a crash can be exceedingly frightening. However, while virtually any type of collision could place your health and well-being at risk, few may be as dangerous as those involving commercial vehicles.
Due to the inherent increases to the size and weight, collisions involving tractor-trailers may run a much greater risk of carrying dire or fatal repercussions. While knowing what factors might increase the risk of truck accidents could help you understand what to watch for while out on Georgia roads, spotting signs of danger might not always be so simple.
Although a truck accident could take place under a multitude of scenarios, there are several factors that continue to contribute to many of these incidents, such as:
- Driver inattention: Distracted driving remains a leading cause of collisions, and when truck drivers succumb to inattention, the results could prove disastrous.
- Drowsiness and fatigue: Hectic schedules and long stints on the road are types of issues that could make truck drivers more prone to bouts with fatigue, which is also a prevalent factor in truck accidents.
- Speeding and tailgating: Reckless behaviors, such as speeding and tailgating, are also common factors in such incidents. Truck drivers who engage in such behaviors may run a greater risk of creating a hazardous situation.
- Imbalanced loads: Failure to properly balance loads on a trailer can affect the maneuverability of a truck, and sudden shifts in balance could create a variety of safety risks.
- Inadequate training: Studies also indicate that the risks of truck accidents may be greater if companies do not provide their drivers with adequate training.
Failure to perform frequent maintenance on commercial vehicles can also prove dangerous, as brake malfunctions are just one example of an issue that plays a role in many truck accidents.
After a truck accident
It might not always be possible to spot similar hazards in time to avoid a dangerous truck accident, and the fallout of such a crash could forever alter the fabric of your life. Such an incident may prompt severe health repercussions that might diminish your quality of life or leave you mourning the untimely passing of a loved one. Should you suffer severe harm or loss during this incident, you might have questions about the best course of action to take to pursue accountability and restitution via the proper path to take.