While walking through a public building or area, most individuals in Georgia and elsewhere might not be aware of all the potential dangers that could rest nearby. Should property owners fail to provide a safe space, the fallout could cause a dangerous incident that may leave a person with severe or permanent injuries. While knowing some of the most common types of slip-and-fall accident hazards could help mitigate such risks, preventing all incidents could prove challenging.
Studies indicate that slip-and-fall accidents can occur under a multitude of scenarios but also state that there are certain safety hazards that may increase the likelihood of similar incidents, such as:
- Floor spills: Liquid spills can create slippery surfaces that may be treacherous to navigate and failure to address such concerns promptly may leave the safety of others nearby at risk.
- Dangerous surfaces: Rough or cracked surfaces can also present with various hazards, as can loose floor mats or other objects that could disrupt one’s balance.
- Elevation issues: Uneven surfaces or areas with abrupt changes in surface elevation may also prove dangerous to navigate and accidents that occur due to such concerns may have disastrous results.
- Clutter and poor lightning: Keeping floors clear of debris and providing adequate lighting in all areas could prove integral, as poor lighting and floor clutter are two more common causes of slip-and-fall accidents.
- Poorly maintained staircases and the presence of distractions are two more examples of safety hazards that could increase the risks of a dangerous incident.
Suffering severe or permanent injuries in a slip-and-fall accident can be difficult to accept, especially if the incident occurs due to the negligent actions of a property owner. Following a similar incident, a person in Georgia could choose to seek out legal counsel for advice on his or her available legal avenues and on the next steps to take to seek restitution. An attorney can evaluate the incident, along with a client’s injuries and financial needs, and assist in developing a strategy with which to pursue the full amount of compensation entitled through the proper channels.